When you’re getting ready to install a whole house stereo system, it can be a daunting task. While it is always easiest to do this during the new construction of the house, we can understand that you also may be looking to do this in an existing house. No matter if you want is simple light speaker system or you want to create a recording audio space to rival the best recording studios in DC, this can be done and with today’s technology it can be done much cheaper than ever before. The video below does a great job of showing the preparation that should go into setting up the whole house system.
As you can see, deciding that you want to have a whole house sound system is only the beginning. You must determine if you want a sound system which is all controlled from one central location is an entirely different setup than one that can be controlled from several places or can play different music in different rooms. It would include even more components if you want to include the ability for recording and playing through the house – whether you want your own recording studio or just love to throw karaoke parties. Here are some of the key points to take note of when planning the actual wiring of the sound system:
- Decide where you want to control the system from.
- Determine where you need to put the control center of the system – and it can be separate from the user control. Take it a step further with a remote control system.
- Taking the time to decide on where you want to place the speakers must not only take into consideration the sound and how it will fill the room, but should also include recognition and alignment with other fixtures which are already in the ceiling or wall.
- The right kind of wiring is critical. Don’t think there will be a difference if you use cat5 instead of cat5e? I wouldn’t take the chance as you don’t want to have to change the wire down the road.
- Be sure to properly plan. Don’t be afraid to take the time to plan it out properly as it will make the whole project flow more smoothly. Here’s some great home audio layout/blueprints from Crutchfield Corporation.
There you have the basic foundation blocks to prepare that whole house audio system you’ve been wishing for. Take the time, plan it out properly and create that dream sound system in your house.